I love this time of year. The weather, the season, and the excitement for the holidays put me in a good mood and energize me for decorating and sewing. I start thinking about what I am going to make for Christmas gifts, and what I'm going to make for myself to help get my house a little more in the "mood" for the season as well.
I recently came across a fat quarter of this gorgeous reddish-orange Essex Linen by Robert Kaufman, and I had to snatch it up to make something for fall. I have to admit, I love Essex Linen. I mean, I love it. It comes in gorgeous colors, it's super easy to work with (unlike heavier linen you can buy for garment sewing that's "shifty"), and it's relatively inexpensive. I have been buying mine from Fat Quarter Shop lately, and you can too! I'll make it easy for you and include the link right to the Essex Linen page. You probably need some...
Back to the project...
Since I only had a fat quarter of this precious fabric, I decided to make a matching pair of mug rugs, one for me and one for my mom. Kind of like one of those old "BFF" necklaces where you keep half of the heart and you give the other half to your, well, BFF. These are super fun and easy to make, and they are a great way to use precious scraps of your favorite fabrics that you just can't bear to throw away!
To make one you will need:
- 6 scrappy strips measuring 1.5" x 6.5"
- Two 3.5" squares
- Four 1.5" squares
- Two 1.5" x 6.5" strips
- Two 1.5" x 8.5" strip
- 9" square
- 9" square
Let's Start Sewing!
- Sew your strips together in two groups of three like this:
- Draw a diagonal line on the back side of your 1.5" squares and sew them onto your strips like this:
- Draw a diagonal line on the back side of your 3.5" squares and sew them onto your strips like this:
- Trim the excess triangle 1/4" from your seam line and press so your heart now looks like this:
- Sew the two halves of your heart together.
- Sew the 1.5" x 6.5" strips to the right and left sides of your heart and press. Sew the 1.5" x 8.5" strips to the top and bottom and press. You should now have something that looks like this:
- Next-to-last step: tag your photos on Instagram using #scrappyheartmugrug so I can see all the beautiful things you make!
- Last step: give it to someone you love!